Before Village Hall, A Phillips 66 Gas Station
Western Springs residents were accustomed to filling up their tanks on the northeast corner of Wolf Road and Hillgrove Avenue.
On October 18, 1966, Western Springs residents were asked to vote on a $900,000 referendum to: (1) purchase the corner property shown above, (2) construct a new Village Hall, (3) build a new village garage near the Tollway and Hillgrove Avenue, and (4) renovate the 1950’s village garage into a modern fire station.
In the process, the old 1927-era fire station (the white building to the left of the Phillips 66 station) was to be demolished. The referendum passed easily and the work proceeded during the following year.
Prior to these changes, the historic water tower was home to both the police department (first floor) and the courtroom for the Cook County circuit court (second floor).
According to reports in the Western Springs Historical Society archives, this resulted in “… a spectacle of witnesses, plaintiffs, attorneys, and culprits standing in long queues (on the circular stairway) awaiting court calls.” Meanwhile, the village administrative staff was housed in the village garage.
Also shown above is the new Village Hall as it appeared shortly after its completion in 1967.