Well writer’s block set in this week for me…….. So in an effort to find some inspiration I turned to the internet……….
First looked at what other Wine Bloggers were writing about. Do you have any idea how many wine blogs are out there…….. In using my preferred search engine “BING” I started by just typing in “Chicago Wine Blogs” into the search bar…… The result was 4,300,000 so where does one even begin, as there is a wealth of information about wine for use to wade through…… so I explore the world of wine blogs later….. But I did find my inspiration………
So many of you have smart phones, which really bring the internet and a world of instant information to our hand held devices….. So I thought that I would report back to you should of the best wine apps out there in the market………. Heck my parents even have an iPhone; I am one of those rare individuals who still doesn’t have smartphone technology.
Wine Access - Canada’s Wine Magazine (www.wineaccess.ca) presented the following the most useful iPhone Apps for Wine Lovers:
- Cellar: cellar-app.com Price: $4.99
- A visual/image-based app that lets you build a cellar in your iPhone and features easy tracking and updating.
- Cor.kz: Price: $3.99
- Browse reviews by region or varietal from Cellartracker.com, the world’s largest collection of user-generated reviews, or scan a bottle’s barcode to find reviews.
- Nat Decants: nataliemaclean.com Price: Free
- Renowned Canadian wine scribe Natalie MacLean’s proprietary wine app, featuring extensive options for pairing wine with food and vice versa, as well as her reviews (some require a subscription).
- Snooth: snooth.com Free (Pro version $4.99)
- The app for this wine-related social networking site features image recognition and the ability to post reviews to your Snooth account.
- Hello Vino: hellovino.com Price: Free
- “Helping you choose the perfect wine,” Hello Vino is a free app that helps you pick a wine for a meal, a special occasion, by taste preference, country and more.
- Some additional apps include: Wine & Dine by Halev Solutions, and Vino for Dinner by VinoforDinner.com each offer apps that aim to demystify the age-old dilemma of delectable food and wine pairings. Each app has peculiar strengths and weaknesses.
Some others that were recommended by Mac Word:
- The Wine Enthusiast Guide app by MobileAge is the iPhone version of the popular and influential wine magazine. The app is loaded with information—so much, in fact, that it likely would be daunting to a beginner who first launches the app only to be met with a massive wine buying guide listed in alphabetical order.
- Wine Snob by 9mmedia is one of several apps that lets you track and rate the wines you drink, while letting you search for wines you might like, providing basic definitions, and offering helpful suggestions such as general food and wine pairings (e.g., try a Barolo with lamp chops, but not with lamb shanks).
Some other Wine Apps I found include:
- Pair IT: This is another awesome addition to iPhone wine apps collection. With more than 20,000 matches, Pair IT is the best wine app that deserves to grace your iPhone. This wine app will come in handy when you are in a wine party and are invested with the great responsibility of choosing the best pair for a wine type.
Wine Spectator also offer some wonderful apps for those of you who have smart phone technology :
- WS WineRatings+
- Get convenient, expert advice when choosing wine for dinner, a party or another occasion. Wine Spectator‘s flagship Wine Ratings+ app provides quick access to all 270,000-plus of our wine reviews. Designed for connoisseurs and casual drinkers, this comprehensive app for iPhone helps you make better choices, discover great values, learn about wine and stay updated on what‘s new.
- WS VintageChart+
- Make smarter decisions when faced with unfamiliar wines. Find the best vintage to drink now by comparing quality for 50+ regions and varieties.
- WS Guide to Napa Valley
- Discover the best of this California wine region, with our picks for the top places to stay, dine and visit.
Gregory Hayes, cs, cwp
Sommelier - Wine Buyer
Mecenat Bistro & Gather Place
821 West Burlington Ave. Western Spring, IL.
Phone: 708-246-8668. Email: Gregory@MecenatBistro.com
Join me at Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place on Friday and Saturday's for complimentary Wine Tastings.
Fridays 2:00 -4:00 pm, Saturdays 1:00 - 4:00 pm