Well let’s see how you did with last week’s Test your Wine Knowledge Triva…… The source and book that I utilized in answer these questions was the 25th Anniversary Addition of Kevin Zraly “Windows on the World Complete Wine Course
1. What are the Top 5 Countries whose wine is imported into the US Market?
France 31%, Italy 28%, Australia 17%, Spain 5.8%, Chile 4.5%
These countries makeup about 87% of the total wine imported into the US market
2. Name the Top 5 Wine producing countries?
Italy, France, Spain, United States, and Argentina
3. What chemical component makes up the largest percentage of a bottle of wine?
A bottle of wine is 86% Water.
4. Name the Top 5 countries in wine grapes acreage worldwide?
Spain, France, Italy, Turkey, United States
5. Where do most winemakers believe winemaking starts?
Winemakers believe that winemaking starts in the vineyard with the growing of the grapes.
6. What are the most important factors in winemaking?
Geographic location, Soil, Weather, Grapes, and Vinification
7. Usually it takes how long for a grape vine to produce grapes suitable for making wine?
On the average or rule of thumb it takes 3 years before a grapevine is producing grapes suitable for making wine.
8. What does the term “Brix” mean?
A “Brix” is a winemaker’s term for a measure of Sugar in a grape.
9. Phylloxera, is a grape louse and one of a grapevines worst enemies, name one of the countries whose grape acreage to this day have not been devastated by phylloxera?
Chile is one of the only countries that has not experienced Phyllorera, Chilean wine producers imported their rootstock and vine from France in the 1860’s, before the French vineyards were attacked in the early 1880’s.
10. What are the 5 perceived tastes?
Authorities today believe that there are perceivable tastes: Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Salty, and now possibly Umami (umami can be translated "pleasant savory taste".)
11. Name 5 things that a great wine great?
Varietal Character, Balance of Components, Complexity, Sense of Place, and Emotional Response
So how did you do?
Gregory Hayes, cs, cwp
Sommelier – Wine Buyer
Mecenat Bistro & Gather Place
821 West Burlington Ave. Western Spring, IL.
Phone: 708-246-8668. Email: Gregory@MecenatBistro.com
Join me at Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place on Friday and Saturday’s for complimentary Wine Tastings.
Fridays 2:00 -4:00 pm, Saturdays 1:00 – 4:00 pm