When Can I File My 2012 Tax Return?

The IRS has announced a delayed start to the 2012 tax filing season. Here's the date of when you can file, plus some locations in La Grange, Western Springs and La Grange Park to get help on your taxes.

You'll have to wait if you are used to filing your annual tax return at the earliest possible date. The Internal Revenue Service has revised its opening date for tax season — pushing it back eight days to January 30, 2013.

The tax filing deadline is Monday, April 15, 2013.

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on Jan. 30, 2013. Most taxpayers should be able to file on that date,  though some revised forms may not be immediately available.

You can blame the delay on the federal "fiscal cliff" crisis and the new tax bill Congress passed just after Dec. 31. You can find more information in this Forbes article.

Electronic filing season was originally set to start on Jan. 22 this year.

As a result of the delay, nobody will get a refund in January, an H&R Block official told Financial Advisor.

The IRS will not process paper tax returns before the anticipated Jan. 30 opening date. There is no advantage to filing on paper before the opening date, and taxpayers will receive their tax refunds much faster by using e-file with direct deposit, writes Patch IRS Blogger David Stewart.

There are several forms affected by the late legislation that require more extensive programming and testing of IRS systems. The IRS hopes to begin accepting tax returns including these tax forms between late February and into March; a specific date will be announced in the near future.

The key forms that require more extensive programming changes include Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits), Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 3800 (General Business Credit). A full listing of the forms that won’t be accepted until later is available on IRS.gov.

Do you like to do your taxes in person? Here are some places you can go to get your taxes done in the area. If we missed a good local option, please add it in the comments:

  • Nakhal Accounting & Tax Services
  • Systems Accounting Service
  • Lincolnway Accounting Service
  • Macaluso & Associates
  • Frank Munaretto R CPA
Niki Chibucos January 25, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Aging Care Connections, La Grange, has announced that experienced, AARP-trained tax volunteers will be available by appointment for those aged 60+ who would like assistance preparing their income tax returns. To schedule an appointment, which is required, please call 708-354-1323. Appointments will be scheduled for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings Monday, February 4 through Friday, April 12. The following documents must be brought to the appointment: last year’s federal and state returns; all federal and state tax forms and booklets; all records of interest, dividends, pensions, Social Security, and retirement annuities; and property tax bills. Referral to a professional tax consultant may be made, if the volunteer determines this is necessary. Volunteers are needed to provide tax assistance. AARP training will be available. Please call Aging Care Connections at 708-354-1323 if you are interested. Aging Care Connections is a non-profit organization which is the connection to the most comprehensive, expert information, programs and services enabling older adults to remain independent and their families to make the best, most informed decisions regarding needed care in their lives. Aging Care Connections serves 22 communities in Lyons, Riverside and south Proviso Townships and an additional ten communities in Leyden and Norwood Park Townships for elder abuse investigation. For more information, please visit agingcareconnections.org.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »