The Illinois Senate approved legislation Thursday that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois, according to the Chicago Tribune.
The Senate voted 34-21. The bill provides "equal opportunity for the same federal marriage benefits to same-sex couples that are currently awarded to other couples," according to a release from Illinois Sen. Jennifer Bertino-Tarrant.
Here's how La Grange, Western Springs, La Grange Park and the surrounding area's state senators voted:
- 4th Senate: Kimberly Lightford (D), YES
- 12th Senate: Steven Landek (D), YES
- 16th Senate: Jacqueline Collins (D), YES
- 24st Senate: Kirk Dillard (R), NO
- 41st Senate: Christine Radogno (R), NO
Gov. Pat Quinn is expected to sign the bill if it makes it to his desk.
Get news alerts and Facebook updates from these Patch sites:
- La Grange/La Grange Park newsletter and La Grange Patch Facebook
- Western Springs newsletter and Western Springs Patch Facebook