Toastmasters is a comprehensive program beneficial for all levels of speaking ability from the scared flop-sweat presenter to the natural showoff. People in Public Speaking (PIPS) is an hour long, weekly Toastmasters club. Individuals who attend are a variety of adults, mostly professionals, ranging from college age to retired. Each meeting has the following activities:
- Toastmaster – rotating members conduct the smooth flow of the meeting
- Table Topics – 2-3 minutes of extemporaneous speaking on a topic assigned to you (guests are welcome to participate)
- Prepared Speeches – usually 5-7 minutes on a topic of your choosing with certain assigned criteria such as speech structure or voice variety
- Evaluation – rotating members receive a couple minutes to prepare and present an evaluation of a speech
- Grammarian – evaluates members use of proper speech including crutch words such as "ah", "um", "you know", etc.
- Word of the Day – more important than learning a new word is incorporating an assigned word – being "present" in your talk
- Joke of the Day – people learn more when they are enjoying a task
The first ten assignments are the foundation for anyone speaking. After completing those, you choose from advance manuals such a Public Relations, Management Meetings, Interpersonal Communication and a dozen other specialties. In addition to improving speaking abilities, Toastmasters offers a leadership program.
Please join us weekly at NOON:
2111 McDonalds Dr
Oak Brook, IL 60523